AVN’s historical country, the deployment of the programme in Burkina Faso started in 1998 around Boromo. To date, 2,250 NV projects have been carried out for the benefit of more than 22,500 people, 470 NV apprentices, masons, artisans and entrepreneurs are active on the market and 16 local employees and many partners are involved in the dissemination of the programme.
- Population in 2018: 19,7 million (70,6% rural)
- GDP per capita: $713 (World Bank 2018)
- Climate: Sudano-Sahelian
- 1998-2000: 1st technical tests to standardize the NV concept
- 2000-2006: Start of the programme, awareness, training of masons, constructions
- 2007: 1st AVN local team in Boromo
- 2011-2013: Regional duplication in Koubri, Dédougou, Yako et Bama
- 2013-2016: Pilot projects of NV housing microcredit with 2 MFIs
- 2014-2016: 1st collaborative partnerships with farmers’ organization
- 2015-2016: development and testing of training strengthening methodologies
- 2017-2018: implementation of the IU-IT strategy
- 1 National Office in Boromo
- 2 Zonal Offices: Yako and Dédougou
- 3 Implementation Territories (TI) and 10 Active Implementation Units (IU) (1 managed by AVN, 9 managed by the National Federation of Naam Groups (FNGN) and 3 as part of the Jobs Project Youth and Skills Development (PEJDC)
- 5 towns with specific projects
- 4 indirect action zones
To date, there is more than 2250 NV projects carried out in Burkina Faso for an area of approximately
79,500 m2, for the benefit of more than 22,500 people. The average annual growth is 17% over the past 10 seasons.
If the majority of the buildings constructed remain for housing in rural areas, the exemplary community and agricultural buildings built each season bear witness to the gradual adoption of the NV concept.
- 404 worksites completed (+58%) representing a built area of 13,600 m2 (+73%)
- 92 % of buildings used for housing
- 32 community buildings including 15 for production/livestock
- 90 % of buildings constructed in rural areas
- 61 localities with at least 1 NV building (692 since the beginning of the programme)
- 38 % of sites found independently by NV masons (without AVN’s intervention)
- 34 % of buildings involved a partner organization
- 4870 new user-beneficiaries
Update August 2020
Training of a workforce
In 2019-20, 458 apprentices, masons, artisans and entrepreneurs including 15 Masons Trainers / Potential Masons Trainers are active in the NV market in Burkina Faso.
- 458 active apprentices, masons, artisans and entrepreneurs (+13%)
- 197 apprentices who began their training this season (+37%)
- 266 new qualifications (207 apprentices, 59 masons and 14 artisans)
Training activities: 96 modules
- 51 Grouped Building sites Training – Access to Housing (GBT-AH) and Reinforcement on Building site – First Clients (RB-FC)
- 27 Academic modules
- 17 Technical Module on Specific Stage (TMSS)
Update August 2020
AVN’s IU-IT strategy involves strong mobilization of partners.
Operational partners (OP)
- Fédération Nationale des Groupements Naam (FNGN)
- Association Teed Yalgre (ATY)
- Associations Provincial des Artisans et Groupements d’Artisans Non-Taaba du Boulgou (APAGAN-B)
- Unions Régionales des productrices de Dolo de la Boucle du Mouhoum (URPD-BM-Binkadi)
- Association Entraide Familiale (AEF)
- Association pour la Promotion du Genre et de l’épanouissement de la Femme (APGEF)
Relay partners (RP)
- Mairie de Ouagadougou
Technical partners (TP)
- Association pour la Promotion des Finances Inclusives au Burkina Faso (APFI-B)
- Union des Baorés Tradition, Épargne et de Crédit (UBTEC)
- Centre de formation de métiers des mines et carrière, bâtiments et travaux publics de Boromo (CEMCA/BTP)
Notable projects and activities
Here is a selection of remarkable projects and activities implemented in Burkina Faso in recent seasons:
"Deployment of a green eco-construction sector for the development and resilience of the populations of the Center East Region of Burkina Faso"
Funded by the Belgian Development Agency (ENABEL)
Sept. 2020 > June 2023
"Strengthening the resilience of young people and women in the border areas of the Boucle du Mouhoun by their integration into the growing market of the Nubian Vault, creating jobs and contributing to endogenous economic development"
Funded by Expertise France
June 2020 > August 2021
Since September 2019, AVN has been running the Burkina Faso / Mali project "Émancipation of cross-frontier communities at risk of destabilisation", financed by the PATRIP Foundation and coordinated by the NGO Welt Hunger Hilfe (WHH). The project aims to help stabilise the cross-frontier region between Mali and Burkina Faso by contributing to the well-being of the local population through creation of youth employment opportunities and the rapid construction of community infrastructure. Specifically, the project involves, over two years, the construction 60 NV buildings and the training of 120 young Maliens and Burkinabes as NV masons in 10 frontier communes.
"Establishment of an environment-friendly habitat construction sector in the North region of Burkina Faso"
Funded by the Walloon Air and Climate Agency (AWAC) through SOS Faim
January 2019 > August 2021
This project provides for the implementation of the AVN programme in 6 municipalities, including the construction of 12 community buildings.
Projects completed in 19-20
Unisféra / Ministry of Quebec cooperation project
Funded by the Quebec Ministry of Sustainable Development, Environment and the Fight against Climate Change (MDDELC) through Unisféra,
Sept. 2017 > August 2020
The MDDELC has allocated the Montreal organization Unisféra a financial assistance of CAD $ 900,000, within the framework of its international climate cooperation program (PCCI), for the financing of the AVN program in Burkina Faso. This cooperation project, planned for a period of 3 seasons (2017-2020) is an exemplary opportunity for the development of the Nubian Vault in this region.
Read more here
Youth Jobs and Skills Development Project (PEJDC)
Funded by the International Association for Development (IDA/Groupe Banque Mondiale)
Sept. > Dec. 2019
AVN signed a collaboration agreement with the Ministry of Youth and Entrepreneurial Promotion of Youth for the implementation of the component "Dual training carried by Basic Community Organizations (CBOs) for suitable housing in 3 municipalities in Burkina Faso "
Read more here
Projects completed in 18-19
Pilot humanitarian program for migrants in Africa
Funded by the Government of the Republic of Poland, through the Polish Center for International Aid (PCPM)
Sept. > Dec. 2018
The government of the Republic of Poland, through the PCPM, is committed to financing a construction project in the Northern Region of Burkina Faso.
Implemented by 15 Naam Unions engaged as IU - Operational Partners with the support of AVN, this project has enabled the construction of 60 NV houses of 25 m2 for the benefit of vulnerable families in 14 municipalities. Around thirty NV masons and more than 100 apprentices were also able to benefit from technical and entrepreneurial training.
Projects completed in 17-18
Funded by Welt Hunger Hilfe (WHH-BF)
Jan. > April 2018
To support poultry farmers in the province of Bam (central-north region) in improving breeding and production conditions in the face of climate change, the WHH BF, the Association PER and AVN carried out a pilot activity of construction of a henhouse in VN in the town of Kongoussi.
PISCCA: future NV artisans for the Passoré
Funded by the French Embassy
Jan. 2017> June 2018
The French Embassy has granted the support fund for Innovative Civil Society and Coalition of Actors Projects (PISCCA) to AKNGS, supported by AVN, for an ambitious 18-month training program in the province of Passoré. This allowed the training of 66 young people in the profession of NV mason, the training of 6 Masons Trainers in site management, pedagogy and assessment of learners and the capacity building of AKNGS in terms of management of NV training and awareness raising projects for their members.
Projects completed before 2017
Funded by the European Union
Sept. 2016 > August 2017
FAO financed 4 NV onion storage buildings constructed in the North and Sahel regions, as part of the project “Improving food and monetary availability and accessibility”, component 1 of the Food Security Program and nutrition in Burkina Faso, funded by the European Union and executed by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) . About 200 people from the beneficiary populations, in particular farmer groups (Naam) were sensitized around these sites.
News in this country