Since 2007, the deployment of the programme in Mali has enabled the completion of more than 1,600 NV projects for the benefit of more than 15,300 people. 335 apprentices, masons, craftsmen and VN entrepreneurs are active in the market and 14 local employees and many partners involved in the dissemination of the programme.
- Population in 2018: 19 million (57,6% rural)
- GDP per capita: $899 (World Bank 2018)
- Climate: Sudano-Sahelian
- 2006-2008: Construction of the first community buildings in partnership with local and international NGOs
- 2009: 1st AVN local team and opening of Ségou region
- 2013 et 2014: Regional duplication in Koutiala and Dioïla
- 2015: Regional duplication in San-Tominian
- 2016: Regional duplication in Banamba
- 2017: partnership with a national entity (AEDD / PGRNCC Project)
- 2017-2018: implementation of the IU-IT strategy
- 4 active Zonal Offices: Koutiala, Dioïla, San et Banamba
- 17 Implementation Territories (TI)
- 14 towns with specific projects
- 1 indirect action zone
To date, there is more than 1500 VN projects carried out in Mali for an area of approximately
49,000 m2, for the benefit of more than 15,300 people. The average annual growth is 26% over the past 10 seasons.
The vast majority of the buildings are for housing for rural populations. The NV corresponds to the needs of the beneficiaries in terms of vocational training offer, an adapted constructive solution and cost (significantly reduced by the involvement of beneficiaries and mutual aid within the communities).
- 262 worksites completed (-10%) representing a built area of 8,351 m2 (+5%)
- 81% of buildings used for housing
- 41 community buildings including 32 for production/livestock
- 94% of buildings constructed in rural areas
- 61 localities with at least 1 NV building (692 since the beginning of the programme)
- 72% of sites found independently by NV masons (without AVN’s intervention)
- 20% of buildings involved a partner organization
- 1825 new user-beneficiaries
Update August 2020
Training of a workforce
In 2019-20, 335 apprentices, masons, artisans and entrepreneurs including 14 Masons Trainers / Potential Masons Trainers are active in the NV market in Mali.
- 335 active apprentices, masons, artisans and entrepreneurs (+21%)
- 104 apprentices who began their training this season (+73%)
- 140 new qualifications (95 apprentices, 21 masons and 24 artisans)
Training activities: 59 modules
- 14 Grouped Building sites Training – Access to Housing (GBT-AH) and 6 Reinforcement on Building site – First Clients (RB-FC)
- 15 Academic modules
- 18 Technical Module on Specific Stage (TMSS)
- 12 Sensitization modules for Zinc Roof Masons (SPG-MT)
Update August 2020
AVN’s IU-IT strategy involves strong mobilization of partners.
Operational partner (OP)
- COnvergence des FEmmes Rurales pour la Souveraineté Alimentaire (COFERSA)
- Coordination des Associations Féminines (CAFO)
- Union des Sociétés Coopératives des Producteurs de Céréales de Diédougou (USCPCD)
- Union des Sociétés Coopératives des Producteurs Céréaliers du Cercle de Barouéli (Yèrènyèton)
Relay partner (RP)
- Groupe Energies Renouvelables, Environnement et Solidarités (GERES)
- Welt Hunger Hilfe (WHH)
Technical partner (TP)
- CFP Tominian
- Belgian Development Agency (ENABEL)
- Office Malien de l’Habitat (OMH)
- African Development Bank (AfDB)
Notable projects and activities
Here is a selection of remarkable projects and activities implemented in Mali in recent seasons:
Emergence project and support for an adapted housing market in 2 municipalities over 2 years in the Koutiala area in Mali
Funded by GERES
Sept. 2019 > August 2021
Implemented as part of the Access to Sustainable Energy for All and All (AEDTT) program in Mali, this project consists of the establishment and organization of vocational training for local players in the construction of NVs and support for market development around 2 sites for the establishment of Electrified Activity Zones.
Since September 2019, AVN has been running the Burkina Faso / Mali project "Émancipation of cross-frontier communities at risk of destabilisation", financed by the PATRIP Foundation and coordinated by the NGO Welt Hunger Hilfe (WHH). The project aims to help stabilise the cross-frontier region between Mali and Burkina Faso by contributing to the well-being of the local population through creation of youth employment opportunities and the rapid construction of community infrastructure. Specifically, the project involves, over two years, the construction 60 NV buildings and the training of 120 young Maliens and Burkinabes as NV masons in 10 frontier communes.
Projects completed in 19-20
Pilot project for the production of NV houses in urban and rural areas
Financed by the Office Malien de l’Habitat (OMH)
Construction of 5 NV pilot buildings aiming to test several VN housing models and to experiment with operational and collaborative modalities, to consider the duplication of the VN construction model for future social housing projects.
* Construction of 19 storage buildings (market garden products or cereals) for a total of 555 m2
* Training of local masons in the construction technique adapted to the Nubian Vault, awareness of communities and AVN technical assistance
Projects completed in 18-19
Projects completed in 17-18
Projects completed before 2017
A NV course within Vocational Training Centers
Two VTCs, sensitized to the interest of the VN, took a first step in the 2016-17 season by building witness buildings (photo) within the walls of their establishments: 3 apprentices from the VTC of Nioro and 10 apprentices from the Tominian VTC were trained in the NV concept and a partnership intention was proposed to Tominian.
These first expressions of interest should lead to the co-creation of a complete course and the implementation of the first pilot actions from 2018.
The Electrified Activity Zone (ZAE) of Konséguéla
News in this country