AVN’s experience in Senegal since 2007 has led the Association to develop several experimental methodologies aimed at new targets, notably urban, peri-urban, and community buildings. The Senegalese context is particularly
favourable to the emergence of an institutional market, given the strong interest expressed by local and national institutions, leading to a set of technically more complex structures.
Eventually, building on the experience gained in this country, AVN will be
in a position to reproduce the methodologies developed and multiply the potential results and impacts both in Senegal and the other countries in which AVN is involved.
- Population in 2016: 15,4 million (55% rural)
- GDP per capita: 958 $ - 23th African Rank (World Bank 2016)
- Climate: Sahelian
- Opening of AVN programme: in 2010
- Human Resources: 1 VSI for the NV Fouta project
- Deployment: 1 partnership office AVN/Le Partenariat
- 2007-2010: 1st buildings in the Matam region
- 2011: Opening of northern regions with the NGO Le Partenariat
- 2013: 1st local AVN team and opening of the Thiès region
- 2014: Preparation of a multi-year project led by the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development and focus on kickstarting
the public and community markets
- 2015: Collaborative partnerships with CSOs and refugee rehousing
project in Mauritania, at the Senegalese border
- 2017: Start of the NV Fouta Project
- 143 worksites completed since 2009 for a total of 8,500 m2
- 68% of buildings used for housing
- 81% of buildings constructed in rural areas
- 64 localities with at least 1 NV building
- 23% average growth in 2016-2017
Training of a workforce
- 18 apprentices, masons, artisans and entrepreneurs active in 2016-2017
- 6 new apprentices have joined the training in 2016-2017
- 11 qualifications for trainees were approved by worksite
foremen in 2016-2017
Consult the "Training" section
- Le Partenariat (LP)
- Malem Auder
- Enda Pronat
Consult the "Partners" section
Current projects this season
NV Fouta project
Since 2017, with funding from the French Conseil Départemental des Yvelines, AVN and the NGO Le Partenariat (LP) have put in place a programme to promote the NV technique, mainly in the departments of Podor, Matam and Kanel in the Fouta region of northern Senegal.
The project is being implemented by a joint LP/AVN team composed of three salaried staff (project manager, assistant project manager, and a trainer/technician) with the support of a technical consultant and an LP/AVN coordination committee. LP brings its experience of project management, contracting, and institutional procedures, and AVN its technical experience in NV construction and its training and support methodologies for actors of the NV sector.
- Download the "NV Fouta project"leaflet (french)
Construction of NV storage buildings and poultry houses in the Thiès region
Enda Pronat, a Senegalese NGO concerned with promotion of ecologically sound agriculture, has been a partner of AVN since 2016 for the construction of NV storage barns and henhouses.
The aim of the project is to train local masons in the NV concept and to create a market for the construction of NV barns and henhouses, thus directly benefitting the producers.
The "Green Village" project
Implemented by the Senegalese-Belgian association Malem Auder, this pilot project aims to convince the farmers of the same village to build their own NV houses through community self-help. The population agrees to supply the construction materials and unskilled labour and AVN would cover the cost of transport and the masons (from Burkina Faso) during the construction period.
The construction of these buildings will accelerate the training of local apprentices in a new zone and the development of a NV market. Construction of a series of demonstration buildings (houses) in the same village is also a way of raising awareness amongst the population of the zone and and local actors (institutional, traditional, associations etc.)
News in this country