EU Project in Benin: results and perspectives from the first year
Since December 2019, AVN and its Operational Partners - l’Union des Associations Villageoises de Gestion des Réserves de Faune (AVIGREF) and the Union Communale des Coopératives de Producteurs d’Anacarde (UCCPA) - have received financial support from the European Union for implementation of a project promoting a bioclimatic construction sector and youth employment in the north of Benin, involving eight Implementation Units in the Departments of Atacora and Donga.
During the first year of operation (the 2019/2020 season):
- 121 youngsters have undergone training on 27 construction sites, including 13 technical and entrepreneurial training modules;
- 14 clients have benefited from financial incentives for construction of their own NV houses;
- partnerships have been formalised between AVN and 2 Operational Partners in Implementation Territories (OP-IT) et 5 Operational partners in Implementation Units (OP-IU);
- 14 focal and subsidiary points have benefited from skills upgrading.
Two ceremonies have been organised in the communes of Ouaké (department of Donga) and Tanguiéta (department of Atacora) for the official launch of the project, bringing together local authorities and development agencies (read the news).
The second year of the project (the 2020/2021 season) started last September wit the organisation of training academies for focal and subsidiary points, and awareness raising to mobilise local masons to join and continue with NV training activities. During this second year of implementation, we plan for:
- 37 training construction sites;
- 67 training modules Reinforcement on Building site – First Clients (RB-FC)* ;
- 27 technical and entrepreneurial training modules;
- distribution of 80 Client Incentive Coupons** (CIC) to villagers for construction of their NV buildings;
- additional support for 36 clients through Wanani promotions.
In addition, a competition for the « most beautiful NV » will be organised to recompense clients who have kept their buildings in excellent condition, and to encourage others to follow their example.
*RB-FC : The training modules "Reinforcement on Building site – First Clients" help masons who want to become artisans to take responsibility for their first construction sites whilst being accompanied by a Trainer Mason, allowing for combined training on technical issues, working with clients, and team management.
*CIC : these printed and numbered coupons are given to masons by AVN or its Operational Partners. Each incentive coupon corresponds to a maximum of 15 % of the total cost of the building, but nevertheless represents an important proportion of the cash needed to pay the specialist labour costs.