Click on the 'Dashboard' below for more details of the results and impacts of the AVN program as of November 2012 (pdf, 600K)
Results & Impacts
A Summary of the overall results & impacts to date (Nov 2012)
The main results so far:
- Since the start of the program, 1,628 vaults * have been built by NV masons and entrepreneurs, for 707 clients, in 306 locations (villages, hamlets, towns) in 5 countries of the Sahel (Burkina Faso, Mali, Senegal, Benin, and Mauritania)
- If all the vaults built were placed end-to-end, this would reach a total length of 12 km
- 85% of NV buildings are houses, and 15% are for community use (churches, mosques, community centers, schools...)
- 261 NV masons have been trained, of whom half are at the foreman and/or entrepreneur level
- There are currently over 300 apprentices in training
- Since 2000 the program has experienced an average annual growth rate of 34%.
* NB: a standard vault , our unit of measurement, has internal dimensions of 7M long X 3,25 M wide - most village houses comprise one or two vaults)
And we estimate the impacts of the Program as being:
- 12,000 people use, live in, or sleep in NV buildings;
- 19,000 corrugated iron roofing sheets have been economized
- 2,200 trees, have been saved, and 3,200 tons of CO2-equivalent economized, as a result of NV construction, as compared to the alternatives
- 1,200,000 Euros of local economic impacts have been generated.
One of the most encouraging outcomes is that over one-third of the NV construction market is now completely autonomous and self-sustaining: 35% of NV clients are found directly by NV builders / entrepreneurs. Of the remainder, 40% come via a local intermediary or ’champion’, and only 25% via AVN itself. So, in the regions where AVN is active, we are well on the way to a growing and independent market in NV construction, permitting us to soon move on and target our resources in new regions.