The AVN-Ghana team inaugurated our new National Office in Bolgatanga on November 25th 2015. Read more..
AVN's sponsors and investors
- La Fondation Ensemble is providing support over an initial two-year period (2009-11) for development of the AVN Programme in Burkina Faso. Read an interview with Thomas Granier about this in the Foundation’s October 2009 Newsletter
- Ashoka France: AVN is receiving valuable support through Ashoka France’s "Entrepreunariat social et Innovation" Programme.
- Fondation d’entreprise Veolia: has provided major financial support for the AVN Programme in 2007 and 2008.
- L’Association SolidarCité: this Association, part of the French PPR Group, made an award to AVN in its ’Social Entrpreneurs 2007’ competition, providing financial support for the work of the AVN.
- GlobalGiving, Washington DC: AVN features on this ’online marketplace’ for aid projects, which enables prospective donors to find and contribute directly to specific projects.
- Groupe CFAO: through the contribution of its CEO, Alain Viry, is helping AVN through its experience and network of contacts in West Africa.
AVN's field partners
Below are links to the various NGO’s, Associations, and other organisations who are involved as clients or partners of AVN in Mali, Senegal, and Burkina Faso, generally for the construction of community use buildings (schools, dispensaries, community centres...).
- AfricaBougou - Italy
- Arquitectos sin Fronteras - Spain
- Arquitectos sin Fronteras en Bobo- Burkina Faso
- Association Tapama, France and Mali
- Intervida - Spain
- Institut Mozdahir International (IMI) - Senegal
- L’Association Petit à Petit: This Association, with the support of Arquitectos sin Fronteras - Spain is building schools using the VN technique in south-west Burkina Faso.
- AIADD (Aide Intégrée Au Développement Durable)Solidarité: this Association shares AVN’s vision of sustainable development and social entrepreneurship; as AVN’s ’client’, it is involved in the construction of a health centre in Pélengana/Ségou/Mali, and acts as a relay for the AVN Programme with its various partners (following the example of Electriciens Sans Frontières (ESF).
- Delphine Kohler/Facteur céleste: Delphine, who has had a VN house built in Ouagadougou, and ’ les filles du Facteur’ are involved in the AVN Programme.
- Chiara Rigotti/ASF-Espagne: Chiarra has designed literacy centres using the VN-RF (reinforced concrete) technique in the region of Bobodiolasso, Burkina Faso.
- Activ: will be involved in the construction of VN buildings in Burkina Faso
- Mayi-Mava, Montpellier and West Africa This Association is planning the construction of a Centre for traditional healers in the village of Ziga, to the north east of Ouagadougou.
- SIAO Ougadougou
- La Compagnie des Grandes Personnes, France, Burkina Faso
- Collectif Burkina-DAG
- Guide du Burkina Faso
- Ateliers Sans Frontières
- Doors of Perception
- Adobe Alliance The Adobe Alliance is a non-profit group dedicated to helping communities apply cooperative building techniques in earth architecture; educating groups in fulfilling the widespread need for low cost, salubrious, energy efficient, sustainable housing; and enhancing rather than blemishing landscape by designing solid contemporary structures of simple design which respect local climatic, environmental and cultural traditions in desert environments.
- ArchiAfrika stands for ‘Afrikaanse Architectuur’ (Dutch), which translates into English as ‘African Architecture’ or into French as ‘ Architecture Africaine’. A group of Dutch architects decided to establish ArchiAfrika on their return from Africa, after living and working for years on that continent. They realised that African Architecture is relatively unknown in the (western) world. The site covers a wide variety of techniques and styles, including earth architecture.
- Auroville Earth Institute The objectives of this Institute, based in Pondicherry, India, concern research, promotion, and technology transfer in the field of earth architecture. These objectives are met through training courses, seminars, workshops, publications, and consultancy work in India and beyond. A large database on earth construction is maintained by the Institute. The comprehensive website is an excellent source of technical information, for example on vault construction, with many drawings, plans and photos. Our programme "Earth roofs in the Sahel" is described there in a well illustrated case study.
- Cal-Earth (The California Institute of Earth Art and Architecture) is at the cutting edge of Earth Art and Ceramic Architecture technologies today. Founded and directed by the internationally renowned architect and author Nader Khalili in 1986, its scope spans technical innovations published by NASA for lunar base construction, to design and development of housing for the world’s homeless for the United Nations.
- Combating crisis with design A blog with a focus on sustainable architecture, including adobe / earth construction. Contains many useful and interesting links.
- CRATerre Research laboratory created in 1979 as part of the School of Architecture in Grenoble, France, is a research and teaching laboratory specialising in earthern architecture. It is one of the few institutions in the world that provides formal post-graduate teaching in this field.
- Earth Architecture The Earth Architecture blog and website focuses on architecture constructed of mud brick (adobe), rammed earth (pise), compressed earth block or other methods of earthen construction and serves as a database for the discussion and dissemination of events, resources, and images of earth architecture in the context of contemporary architecture culture.
- EcoAbita This site is dedicated to eco-construction and sustainable development; it includes a video of the AVN programme on its blog.
- Hassan Fathy is the world famous Egyptian architect who revived the Nubian vault technique in the 1940’s, most notably in the building of the village of New Gourna, near Luxor in Upper Egypt, well documented in his book "Architecture for the Poor" (the American publisher’s misleading version of the original French title of Construire avec le peuple). Jane Akshar has written an informative update on New Gourna : Whatever happened to New El-Gourna. See also the article by Simone Swan ’Elegant Solutions’. Hassan Fathy was the first recipient, in 1980, of the "Chairman’s Awards" of the Aga Khan Prize for Architecture, for the totality of his work. See also this article by Simone Swan, of the Adobe Alliance.
- Nubian Vault The entry on Wikipedia about Nubian vaults.
- Nubian Vault building in Mexico A series of photos of the stages of construction of a small Nubian vault building using straw/clay blocks, from the website of the Canelo Project.
- Practical Action Practical Action was founded in 1966, as ITDG (the Intermediate Technology Development Group), by the radical economist Dr EF Schumacher to prove that his philosophy of ‘Small is Beautiful’ could bring real and sustainable improvements to people’s lives. It contains some useful guides to earth construction, and to alternatives to cement.
- PunPun is an organic farm, seed-saving operation, and sustainable living and learning center, based in Chaing Mai, Thailand. Its website contains a very informative section on earthern building, including detailed guidance on adobe, cob, earth and wattle, earth plasters, paints, renderings, and finishes.
- Simple Adobe Home Construction. A blog about the construction of an adobe house in Nuevo Casas Grandes CHIH, Mexico, using plans from AVN and VN construction methods.
- Terra_2008 The Getty Conservation Institute and the Ministry of Culture of Mali organised the 10th International Conference on the Study and Conservation of Earthern Architecture, Feb 1-5, 2008, in Bamako. The AVN was invited to present a poster session on our ’Earth Roofs in the Sahel’ Programme.
countries where avn is active